Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Wednesday Wanderlust: Introduction

wan·der·lust 
noun: a strong desire to travel: "a man consumed by wanderlust"

I've had an extreme case of wanderlust for some time now. Besides Mexico, I've only traveled outside the U.S. once. The summer after my second year of college (2007) I traveled to Australia with an international student volunteer group (ISV) for two weeks of volunteering and two weeks of traveling and it was such an amazing experience where I learned a lot, grew a lot, and had a crazy amount of fun. Plus, Australia is beautiful!! I was blessed to have that experience, but it made me crave more travel. I want to see and experience what the world has pto offer!
 
ah, memories...
 
Since then, I just haven't had the time or the funds to travel more. I finished my undergrad and couldn't afford to travel more at that particular time. A few months later it was diving head first into my Masters program where it's been two years straight of school including a year-long internship.

In approximately three short weeks, I'll be done and, god-willing, my degree will be conferred! NOW is the perfect time to travel since I've been able to save up some money and I'm not tied down to school obligations. My travel plans are not grand ones; only about 2 weeks of travel total, but I'm beyond excited to have this opportunity! I'm considering this my graduation present to myself (and a nice break before starting work again and maybe applying to PhD programs?)!

So what are said travel plans? One of my best friends and former roommates, Shannon, and I will be headed on a 4-country European jaunt! We're hitting Prague, Czech Republic; Munich, Germany; Interlaken, Switzerland; and Barcelona, Spain. This whole trip started because we wanted to go to Oktoberfest in Munich aka the real deal, which we are actually doing! It's since evolved to include 3 other countries, a whole lot of fun to be had, and sight-seeing to be done!

There are 4 Wednesdays left until we leave (Sept. 30th), so each Wednesday I plan on highlighting a different city we're going to, why we chose it, and some of our potential plans. First up, Prague!

Where have you traveled to?  Where do you want to travel to?  Any travel tips?

No comments:

Post a Comment