Friday, March 2, 2012

Listening to Your Body and Trying New Things

This week I've been tired and sore, both physically and mentally.  Between achy legs, ladycramps, and just being plain exhausted it has been a struggle to get through my workouts.

Monday:  Rest day.  And I did just that.  It works out well because Monday nights are my marathon TV nights where we have too many things recorded that the DVR gets mad at us.  Jeopardy!,  The Voice, The Bachelor, Pretty Little Liars (don't judge...), and more.

Speaking of The Bachelor...have you seen bachelor Ben's alter ego, a group called Storm Horse?  It's a take off of SNL's Lonely Island.  Here, I leave you with the "Cream Dreams" video.  NSFW.
 
Well, that was awkward.  Sorry for the tangent...

Tuesday:  Got home from work later than normal.  It was too dark to run outside by myself (read: I'm a sissy) and when I went to the workout center at my apartment it was the most crowded I've ever seen it and all the machines were full.  I was grumpy and didn't feel like waiting, so I took my sorry ass to get some fish tacos (it was Tuesday after all) and ate them while watching The Biggest Loser.  So much for "no excuses" for me today.  I went to bed promising myself I'd get two workouts in the next day to make up for missing todays.

Wednesday:  Well, I didn't stick to my promise.  I did manage to get in a 5 mile run but even that was harder than normal.  I felt weak and tired.  I decided to listen to my body and call that enough for the day.  I'm usually the type of person that sticks to my goals and am pretty stubborn.  However, I knew that with the half marathon coming up in a little over a week, I'd better give it a rest.  Better safe than sorry.

Thursday:  I decided to do a modified speed workout.  My training schedule called for 10 x 400s at 5k pace (I had been doing about 7:30 min/mi pace for the past two speed workouts).  I did my 1 mile warm up and knew that I still wasn't feeling just right.  I cut it back to 8 x 400 and dropped the speed back a little after my first two repeats.  I still got a good workout it too.  It was a good reminder to myself that sometimes it's okay to modify your plans and your don't have to be too strict.

Friday (today): I had 3 miles scheduled for today, but I'm thinking that I'm actually going to hop on the elliptical for a bit and then kick some booty with Jillian's Ripped in 30.  That's my plan and I'm sticking to it!

As for trying new things, I'm going to make it a point to stretch more and really dedicate time to it.  On the same note,  I really need to focus on strength training too.  I'm starting Ripped in 30 and I'm going to challenge myself to do it at least 3 times a week.  I also have a LivingSocial voucher for 1 month of unlimited Bikram Yoga, but before I cash in on that (I have until May), I'm going to reacquaint myself with basic yoga.  I've neglected group classes for far to long, partially for out of fear for embarrassing myself and partially because  I seem to have fallen into a routine, which I now need to switch up a little.  So next Monday, when my schedule calls for Stretch & Strengthen  you'll be able to find me at a yoga class :)

In other news: One of my bffs, Andi, is coming into town today!  Back in December I convinced her to sign up for the San Diego Half Marathon with me...and she said YES!  We've been keeping each other motivated despite being far apart. 
Andi and I in September 2011
High School graduation in 2005
She's mainly in town to watch BYU Softball since they're playing in San Diego this weekend and she's a big, bad, BYU softball alum.  Seriously, this girl is a BOSS!  Amazing softball-player and she's totally falling in love with running too!  Point is, we get to go on a run together this weekend, before our first half marathon next weekend!  I'm so excited to get to run together and catch up :)

What do you do when you're just not feeling a certain workout?

Are you a fan of group fitness classes or trying new things? 

Have a Happy Weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment