Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Getting Settled in San Diego

Shaun and I have been moved in for a week and things are coming along nicely.  We're getting our place set up, but definitely still have a long way to go.  We just got internet and cable today, so I'll amuse you with what we've been up to since moving in.

We've made our first trip to Ikea, which was quite exciting considering neither of us had ever been there before.  True story.  We even ate lunch there and it wasn't half bad.  I think I may have an Ikea-obsession developing.  That place is wonderful!  We purchased two table lamps for our bedroom and a few other nick-nacks.  Now that we have those lamps, we just have to get ourselves some nightstands.  Best part of the trip was that we had a gift card.  Shopping is so much better when you don't technically have to pay for it.

Speaking of gift cards, we also had one to Crate & Barrel (thanks to Shaun's parents!) and decided to take advantage of it on Sunday.  We wanted to maximize our spending and lucky for us there is a Crate & Barrel Outlet store at the Carlsbad Outlets!  We now have some great glassware, stemware (20 oz Viv Wineglasses, Stemless WineglassesViv Champange Flutes), a new baking pan, some other kitchen accessories, and a step-stool (so I can reach our high cabinets).  We still have some money left on the gift card and I can't wait to use it for something decorative once we're completely unpacked.

We've also managed to do a little bit of exploring in our time here.  On Saturday we checked out Balboa Park, located next to the San Diego Zoo, and walked around some of the free museums and gardens.  It was beautiful and the weather was great.  I can't wait to come back when we have more money to spare and check out some of the other museums and gardens...that science center is just calling my name!
Our day at Balboa Park
On Sunday, after the outlets, we met up with our friends Lauren and Matt who live in north county San Diego.  We headed to Encinitas for lunch at a place called Honey's Bistro and Bakery.  Good food and great company.  After lunch we followed Lauren and Matt to a place they wanted to show us.  We went to a self-reflection and meditation garden.  Sounds silly, but the gardens and surroundings right on the coast were absolutely beautiful.  I truly could spend all day there. The gardens are open to the public and are also used as part of a retreat location.  Quiet, peaceful, beautiful, and perfect.




I've been awaiting the start of my internship, but had to deal with some paperwork issues so I wasn't able to start this week as I had previously expected.  Also, without cable or internet (and my limited budget this month) I've kept myself pretty entertained.  Thanks, Entourage and Friends for helping pass the time.  Oh, and we bought a 1000 piece puzzle to equal out the amount of dvds we've been watching.  I have however managed to get my creative juices flowing and have cranked out two new layouts since moving in! 

The first one is pretty self explanatory, a hotpants and headbands party we attended a while back (read: January of 2010).  I kept it simple and created the layout around a single picture, something I'm really not used to.  Diggin' the simplicity and bright colors though!
Hotpants & Headbands layout


The second layout, also from an event circa 2010, is when we went flying with Shaun's roommates, one of who was getting his pilots license.  Amazing getting to see SLO from the sky.  There was some pretty eventful moments and a close landing or two, but it was an experience I will never forget.


Soaring Over SLO layout


Close up of picture of left of layout, Cal Poly campus from above

Close up of picture of right of layout, Morro Rock
 Whew, long post.  Guess I had a lot to catch up on.  Now to put these new wineglasses to use and relax for the night!

1 comment:

  1. I'm soooo glad you are happy in San Diego. I miss you!

    ReplyDelete