Thursday, October 6, 2011

Red Curry with Eggplant and Sweet Potato

Tonight was our first night of "real" cooking in the new place!  I missed cooking, but being in a new place also made me realize we're in dire need of some newer pans, pots, and lids.  I'll just add that to the list of things we need/want.  I made due with what we had and adapted a recipe from Step-by-Step Delicious Vegetarious Food Cookbook that I got on sale at Borders (RIP Borders). 

If you know me, you know I love things that are hot and spicy. That goes for food too ;)  This curry has sweet potato and eggplant,  both of which I love and makes me think that fall is really here!

Red Curry with Sweet Potato and Eggplant
*real recipe calls for green curry, but use whatever suits your fancy/ what you can find
serves ~4

1 tbsp oil
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons curry paste
1 eggplant, quartered and sliced
1 1/2 cups coconut milk (I used light coconut milk)
1 cup vegetable stock
1 orange sweet potato, cubed
2 tsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. lime juice
Salt
Directions:
  • Heat the oil in large wok or frying pan. Add onion and curry paste, stirring of medium heat for 3 minutes. Add eggplant (depending on size of pan add as much eggplant as desired) and cook for an additional 5 minutes
  • Pour in coconut milk and stock, bringing to a boil.  Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
  • Add desired amount of sweet potato (half - whole), stirring occasionally until vegetables are soft and tender.
  • Mix in sugar and lime juice with the curry.  Season to taste with salt.
  • Serve over steamed rice
Enjoy!


It was warm, spicy, delicious, and filling.  Best part was, Shaun even liked it! Let's just say that he likes his meat and it's rare a meal of his doesn't have some type of meat in it. Win for me!


Now that I have extra eggplant and sweet potato, any suggestions for how to cook them or good recipes you know of? 

No comments:

Post a Comment