Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Jelly Doughnut Muffins

As a present for Christmas last year I received the book 1 Mix, 100 Muffins and although it's been sitting on my shelf, I haven't pulled it out and made any delicious muffins.  Until now.  See, my problem is I've always been a cupcake kind of girl.  I know, I know... muffins and cupcakes are two completely different things; but really, take away the frosting from a cupcake and you sorta have yourself a muffin.   Well I'm sure glad I finally flipped through the book and made something.  Muffins can be all sorts of things! Savory, Fruity, Dessert-y, Healthy!  Okay, well these Jelly Doughnut Muffins probably aren't the healthiest but I think they're healthier than plain ole jelly doughnuts and they're delicious as well!


Jelly Doughtnut Muffins
(Makes 12)
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 cup milk
*6 tbsp vegetable oil (recipe calls for sunflower oil (didn't have any) or butter)
1 tsp vanilla extract
4 tbsp jelly (I made 6 with strawberry and 6 with orange marmalade)

Topping:
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup granulated sugar

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 400F and grease muffin pan (or line with paper liners).
  • Mix together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, sugar.
  • In a separate bowl, beat together eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla extract.
  • Mix liquid ingredients into dry until combined
  • Using ~1/2 of the batter, pour into muffin pan
  • Add ~1 teaspoon of jelly to the center of each muffin batter and then cover with other half of the remaining batter.
  • Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown
  • To prepare the topping, melt the butter in a bowl and put sugar in a dish.  When muffins are finished, let cool.  Dip the top of each muffin into the melted butter and then roll into sugar.
  • ENJOY! 

Serve warm and eat for breakfast, a snack, or dessert.



Ready to eat!

My feeling on these muffins is that while they were mighty tasty, next time I'd add more jelly.  Or maybe I'll just add some on top.  The jelly sinks to the bottom a bit, so maybe put the muffins in the oven for < 5 minutes before adding jelly and then top the muffins and bake for the remaining time?  I actually am looking forward to trying out more unique muffin types: spinach and nutmeg muffins anyone? How about coffee and cream?

What are your feelings about muffins? Love 'em, Hate 'em? Favorite kind?

No comments:

Post a Comment