Saturday, February 5, 2011

Beer & Cheese Cupcake with Cheddar Cream Cheese Frosting

aka Superbowl Cupcakes
aka Packers' Cupcakes! 


Disclaimer:  The Packers are my 2nd favorite team.  My mom and g-pa are from Wisconsin, so I gotta represent. What better way to represent than with some cupcakes?  The Rams are my real favorite team and I'll stick by them always! Sam Bradford 2010 NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year, what what?!...sorry about that outburst, I just couldn't contain myself...

Beer? Cheese? Beer and cheese in a cupcake?  Gross.  That's probably what you're thinking and I'd like to tell you that you're thinking wrong.  

Beer and cheese are quintessential components of a superbowl (in my case, daily?...j/k) diet.  These cupcakes combine both ingredients and make for the perfect little game day dessert when you grow tired of the chips, dips, pizza, buffalo wings, etc.  It also helps that these cupcakes include cheese for all you cheesehead fans out there. I'm definitely not the mastermind behind these cupcakes; I liked the idea and had to make sure it actually worked.  I slightly adapted the recipe from Cupcake Project and I definitely applaud the creativity.  (The original even includes bacon, but we all know that's not my thing)

Festive, green and gold cupcake liners
 That's right, I even showed my spirit with these cute cupcake liners.  My brother's girlfriend, Hanna, gave me a cupcake set with a ton of liners for Christmas.  They're pretty adorable, if I do say so myself.  Only problem is them when you bake for a long time, the color starts to fade.  I need to see how well they hold up with cupcakes or muffins or something that require less oven time.  Love them though!

Beer Cheese Cupcakes
(makes ~18)
1 cup beer (I used Coors Light.  After all, it is the official beer sponsor of the Superbowl)
1 stick + 1 tbsp. unsalted butter
1 cup grated cheddar (I chose a nice block of sharp cheddar)
2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup sour cream
2 eggs
1 tbsp. vanilla extract
2 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp. baking soda

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350F
  • Heat the beer and butter in a large pan on medium-high heat until butter is melted
  • Add grated cheese to pan
  • Remove pan from heat and whisk in sugar
  • In a medium-sized bowl mix together sour cream, eggs and vanilla
  • Mix the sour cream mixture into the beer mixture
  • In another bowl, mix together flour and baking soda
  • Fold the flour into the batter in parts
  • Pour batter into cupcake liners
  • Bake for 25 min or until done
Cheddar Cream Cheese Frosting
8 oz. cream cheese, room temp
1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp 
4 cups powdered sugar
3/4 cup grated cream cheese
decorative sugar (optional)


Directions:
  • Beat together cream cheese and butter
  • Melt half of the grated cheese in microwave for 15 sec.
  • Add both the melted and grated cheese to the cream cheese mixture and mix
  • Mix in powdered sugar, bit by bit
  • Frost cupcakes
  • Add decorative sprinkles if desired
Ready for the game!
Congratulations! You've created the perfect blend of savory and sweet cupcakes, enjoy!
&&& remember...GO PACK!

No comments:

Post a Comment