Saturday, January 22, 2011

Curry-Spiced Noodles

Hey there blogosphere! I told you I'd be back sooner than later :)

I've been slacking on my home-cooked meals lately, so I figured this was as good a week as ever to find a new recipe and get to cookin!  Every time a new edition of Cooking Lite arrives I immediately flip towards the back of the magazine...where the vegetarian recipes are located of course!  I was elated to see 3 different kinds of vegetarian curries and chose to make the one I thought most of the fam would enjoy (aka the one without any tofo and most closely resembling a stirfry).  With that, I selected the Curry-Spiced Noodles and was not disappointed in the least.


Curry-Spiced Noodles
(serves 4)
*slightly adapted from the original
8 oz. udon noodles
4 tsp. peanut oil
2 cups julienne-cut carrots
2  cups  julienne-cut red bell pepper
1  cups  julienne-cut green bell pepper
4 cups thinly sliced common, white mushrooms
1 tbsp. grated, peeled ginger
1 tbsp. red curry paste
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. turmeric
8 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup vegetable broth
1/2 cup water
2 tsp. low-sodium soy sauce
1/4 tsp. kosher salt
3 green onions, sliced
1/3 cup cilantro leaves
1/4 cup chopped, unsalted cashews
    Directions:
    • Cook noodles according to package directions (leaving out any seasoning), set aside and keep warm
    • Heat large skillet, add 2 tsp. peanut oil
    • Add carrots to skillet, saute for 2 minutes
    • Add bell peppers, saute for 2 more minutes
    • Remove carrot-bell pepper mixture from skillet
    • Add the remaining 2 tsp. peanut oil
    • Add mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes
    • Add ginger, curry-paste, cumin, turmeric, and garlic; stir constantly for 1 minute
    • Add vegetable broth, water, soy sauce and salt; bring to boil
    • Cover and reduce heat, let simmer for 2 mintues
    • Add noodles and carrot-bell pepper mixture to pan
    • Mix together well and keep warm 
    All cooked up in the skillet

    Dinner is served!
    Delicious and nutritious!  Only 402 calories per serving, low in fat and high in fiber and protein.  It always feels great to make a good meal, share with others, and know you're still eating relatively healthy!

    P.S. On the complete opposite of the health spectrum...the unhealthy spectrum...I've been thinking of some football inspired cupcakes for the Packers' game this Sunday.  The Rams are out of it so I have to root for my next favorite team.  Think savory cupcakes. Hope I can make it happen!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment