Saturday, September 8, 2012

HIIT Me Baby, One More Time

Thanks for the title inspo, B. Spears.

I was short on time last night, but knew that if I didn't get a little bit of sweat on I'd regret it later. As always. My key for a good quality workout but not much time = HIIT!  HIIT = High Intensity Interval Training.  It involves alternating short periods of intense anaerobic activity with slower, less intense periods of recovery.  It can be applied to many types of exercises such as biking, running, rowing, jump-roping, and even plyometric exercises.

What I like most about HIIT is that it's quick and efficient.  Studies also show that you burn more fat doing HIIT because of those quick bursts of exertion, so that's also a plus in my book.  Let's face it, running on the treadmill can be boringgggg.  With this workout you're constantly changing up the speeds and working so hard that you don't have time to get bored...the perfect recipe for treadmill success!  Speed workouts have always been a killer for me, but running faster is definitely something I need to do more of if I want to get better and faster in the long run. Get it? the long run? What a concept.  Hopefully I'll start incorporating a little speed more often.

Here's the workout I did for me HIIT session:

Not counting the 5 minute walk at the end, I covered 2.3 miles in 20 minutes.  Not too shabby for me.

Followed up my run with some chest/tricep strength training. 

Recovered with a chocolate protein shake and then a beer or two. Hey, it was Friday night ;)

What's your favorite HIIT workout?

What's your favorite way to recover?

No comments:

Post a Comment