Thursday, November 4, 2010

Roasted Pumpkin with Shallots and Sage

Sorry for the extreme lack of posting.  I was out of town for the Halloween holiday season in my most favorite town of San Luis Obispo!  It was exactly what I needed, but I shall leave it at that for now because I know you're just dying for a recipe, a savory, non-dessert recipe!

If you're like me, you love your warm comfort food in the fall/winter season.  Also, if you live in southern California you are wondering if it is November or if you were secretly transported back to the month of July because the temperature is in the 90s! Gah! Good thing I made this about a week ago when the weather was cooler, so you may want to wait until the weather makes up its mind and remembers that it's November.

The recipe is based off of Martha Stewart's Roasted Pumpkin with Shallots and Sage.  I confess that I'm slightly in love with that woman.  I trust Martha with everything: food, decorating, crafts, you name it.  That woman is the whole package.  I wanna be her...


Roasted Pumpkin with Shallots and Sage
1 medium sugar pumpkin*
2-4 shallots
3 tbsp. olive oil
fresh sage leaves
salt and pepper, to season
a few cloves of garlic, chopped*
cumin and/or cayanne, to season*
* my own additions; the recipe also says to peel and quarter your shallots, but I chopped mine more finely, left my garlic in bigger pieces and I also only used one half of my pumpkin for this recipe.

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 450F
  • Peel, seed, and cut pumpkin into 2 inch chucks  

Seeded, Peeled, and Chopped

  • Line baking sheet with foil
  • Throw on pumpkin, shallots, garlic and oil- toss onto sheet
  • Season with salt, pepper, cumin, and cayanne
Garlic and Shallots

Pre-roasted and ready to go!
  • Roast between 30-35minutes, tossing once during baking
Delish! Serve warm and works as a side or an entree.  This recipe definitely turned me on to working with real pumpkin.  I loved the recipe because it's so versatile.  You really could season with so many different spices or leave out or add in others.  Thanks Martha, I'll be making this again, that's for certain.

P.S. Next time I make it I'll try not to cut myself with the vegetable peeler. True Story. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment